Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Gifts!

Since Mark is leaving to spend Christmas with his family, we decided to exchange gifts since we wouldn't have a chance to do so closer to the actual day. That, and we're both like little kids on Christmas morning when it comes to gifts. Mark got cologne, a Serenity t-shirt, superman boxers, a white blood cell plushie, and a wine-rating notepad and Jo got a necklace.

From Jo: Mark was really excited to exchange presents, and while I tried to make him wait a little (though we knew neither of us would last till anywhere near Christmas morning), I was pretty excited to exchange gifts as well. The goal was to wait till the evening, but wrapping and tissue paper started flying not long after we met up. I put some good effort into wrapping his gifts, too. Finished products from Christmases past tend to look like a five-year-old got her hands on too much paper and tape, but his time around the wrapping looked quite good, if I do say so myself. I was almost more proud of the wrapped gifts than I am of my recently acquired college degree, hence the waiting- I wanted to keep the gifts nicely wrapped for as long as possible, but obviously that kinda failed.

Mark's gift to me was gorgeous- a lovely white gold and diamond necklace on the most delicate little chain :) I pretty much knew I was getting some sort of necklace, since Mark tried to be sneaky and ask me, "hypothetically," what length chain I prefer. Smooth, M. ;) Unlike me, he took the easy way out and had professionals do the gift-wrapping, so the whole thing looked great. The pendant is probably no more than half an inch big, the entire thing is very delicate looking and I love it. It probably won't be switched out very often, since it can go with anything. I don't think any description of mine would do the necklace justice, so I've included a picture ->

I managed to be more discreet with my presents (Mark has pictures below). They were all things I sort of stumbled across that reminded me of him, that I thought he'd enjoy. I love giving silly little gifts that I know will bring a smile to the person's face. We both like the show Firefly and the movie based off of it, Serenity, so when I saw the tshirt I knew I had to get it for him. The white blood cell plushie is because Mark is a nerd and thinks white blood cells are badass- I just thought the plushie was cute. He enjoys his wine so I liked the jokey knock-knock wine rating pad, and the superman boxers I got because a) it's his favorite superhero, and b) all the Christmas ones kinda sucked. The cologne took some guesswork, since the only scent I know Mark likes is his shower gel :P After sampling 5 or 6 different colognes on myself, I chose Bleu de Chanel cause I liked the musky smell. I walked out of Sephora that night triumphant (though when don't I walk out of Sephora triumphant in some way?) and reeking of dude. Worth it!

From Mark: Finding the necklace was tricky. I've never actually purchased jewelry before, so I decided to go to several jewelry shops before making a final decision. Strangely, the first shop I went into ended up being the one I purchased the necklace from. The other shops weren't very noteworthy (just your run of the mill jewelry store in a shopping mall type), except one that was called an "Estate Jewelers." I don't remember the name exactly, but I presume the "estate" part of their name was meant to indicate that all their jewelry was used. I didn't realize this going in, however, and was shocked to see several old men (apparently close to death) standing around the a fairly dilapidated store. One of them showed me a few necklace pendants, but it was all mostly old and tacky. You would think that if you were going to get used jewelry then it would be at least a higher quality than something you could buy new. I awkwardly left and went back to the first store I went into and purchased the necklace.

The gifts I got were more exciting (or at least, original). My favorite was probably the Firefly shirt. It references a line from Wash, the pilot of the ship and comic relief. The scene the t-shirt references involves Wash playing with plastic dinosaurs and enacting a rather dramatic scene between a T-rex and a brontosaurus who have migrated to a new area and are talking about how they will claim this land for themselves and start a new civilization. The T-rex, however, betrays the brontosaurus and attacks him, prompting the brontosaurus to deliver the line pictured on the t-shirt.

Another amazing gift Joanna got me was a pair of Superman boxers. I'm a sucker for all things Superman and I also enjoy themed boxers (is that a thing?). I presume she figured this out after I went to great lengths to procure a pair of M&M boxers while at the M&M factory in NYC. Or maybe I just come across as the type of guy who enjoys weird boxers. I'm hoping the former. To compliment this gift, Joanna also got me a "Rate That Wine" notepad (for all those times when I lounge around my apartment drinking wine in my boxers). You can see an example of the notepad here.

As if that wasn't enough, she also got me a WBC plushie. I'd like to clear the air and explain that the website that sells the plushie has the WBC grouped in the "microbe plushie" catagory. This isn't accurate. White blood cells are not microbes, and I think they would be rather hurt if anyone every tried to classify them as such. It would be like confusing Superman for Lex Luthor. He probably wouldn't appreciate it. Despite this critical error, the plushie is amazing and surprisingly accurate. It even has different sized cell surface markers! /nerd off

The major gift, however, was definitely the cologne. I'm not really sure if I can convey how good it smells with just words. Sadly the internet has not evolved to the point of scent-transmission. One day, perhaps, we will get there, but that day is not today. I guess I'll just some it up with "it smells really good and a lot like man." I think that's pretty accurate. The bottle is also super-snazzy. The cap has a magnet so it clicks shut in a satisfying way

Overall, I would say I made out quite nicely! Merry Christmas =)

No comments:

Post a Comment